What’s Fresh News – June 7th, 2011
Share Organics offers certified organic eggs from two local farms. Organic standards set minimum space allotments for free range hens – it’s the only regulation there is regarding what free range actually means. They also require the hens are outdoors. Our eggs are ungraded so right now we are getting some smaller ones from the young birds and some big ones from the older gals.
Kildara Farms reuses egg cartons and always appreciates them coming back. Terra Nossa Farm has decided to use new cartons only. I’ll have to ask Evelyn why. Certified organic also meets all SPCA standards. The feed, of course, is organic so no yellow dyes or GM grains included. Yolk colour is dependent on what the hens are eating. At this time of year yolks are quite yellow as hens are wandering the farmyard eating greens and bugs.
Check out the farm websites:
kildarafarms.webs.com – Kildara is just setting up a new website
What to Make from This Week’s Box
- Asparagus Calzone
- Rhubarb Custard Square
- Rice Salad with Grapes and Pecans
- Kale and White Bean Soup
- Endive Salad with Mango Dressing
- Banana Cake
Try the Rhubarb Square Recipe from local chef and blogger Heidi Fink
Contracting Farmers and Building Relationships
Share Organics is working on establishing a regular supply of rhubarb from a local farm. This year we have had some offers of smaller amounts that are appearing in the Local Only Box. Rhubarb takes a few years to get established so we are hoping our work will bear fruit in two years. Offering contracts to farmers encourages them to plant more and gives them a guaranteed sale for that crop.
Puree in a blender
- 1/2 mango peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp Rice vinegar
- Juice of 1/2 orange
- Fresh Ground Pepper
- 1 tsp Maple syrup
- Steam 1/2 LB asparagus until just tender. Run under cold water to cool.
- Brush one side of 3 Tortilla wraps with olive oil. Place oil side down on a baking sheet.
- Spread on one side of each wrap:
- 2 Tbsp Pasta Sauce
- Fresh Oregano or Arugula
- Top with the asparagus spears
- Then add 1/3 cup grated cheese
- Fold tortilla over to cover and press together lightly.
- Bake in 400 degree oven for 8 minutes (just until cheese is melted and crust golden). Let cool for 10 minutes to firm up.